Who doesn’t love an easy crockpot recipe?
Although I developed this recipe to intentionally include all of my Top 7 Foods To Eat During Pregnancy, it is of course well-suited for the whole family.
Getting to know your slow cooker (and actually using it!) can be a lifesaver for busy families. I use mine at least twice a week.
This recipe is just jam-packed full of nutrition from omega-3 rich salmon, anti-oxidant rich beets, and leafy greens galore! You’ve gotta give this goodness a whirl!
Prep Time:15 mins + 15 mins
Cook Time:4-4.5 hours
Total Time:4.5-5 hours
Slow Cooker Meal
2 Tbsp coconut oil, divided
3 large beets
2 large parsnips or turnips
6 large carrots
1 small white or yellow onion, sliced
2 tsp Himalayan salt, divided
1 Tbsp dried parsley
4 small salmon fillets
1 large bunch kale
1 bunch fresh parsley
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tbsp fresh dill
Dressing & Toppings
1 cup sheep yogurt
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp dill
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp Himalayan salt
½ cup chopped macadamia and brazil nuts
- Wash and chop all root veggies into similar sized rounds or slices. Place veggies in a 6 qt or larger crock pot, and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp coconut oil, 1 Tbsp dried parsley and 1 tsp salt before covering and turning on high.
- In a small bowl mix together juice of one lemon, 2 garlic cloves and 1 Tbsp chopped fresh dill.
- Place salmon fillets in a shallow glass container, and drizzle with marinade. Set aside in the fridge for later.
- After the veggies have been cooking on high for nearly 3 hours, wash, dry, de-stem and rough chop kale and parsley.
- Open crock pot and layer in kale topping it with the remaining 1Tbsp of coconut oil and 1 tsp salt. Layer parsley above. Finally, lay salmon fillets on top of parsley.
- Close crock pot and continue cooking on high for 60-90 minutes until salmon fillets are cooked through.
- While the salmon is cooking, combine yogurt, lemon juice, dill, garlic and salt in a bowl or jar and mix well. Cover and set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Roughly chop macadamia nuts and brazil nuts. Set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Once salmon is cooked and ready to eat, serve veggies, greens and salmon, topping with a dollop of yogurt dressing, and a sprinkling of crushed nuts.